Sunday, May 7

Introducing Technology Tools for Pre-Service Teachers



Pre-service teachers in the School of Education at the University of Guam are required to enroll and complete a one-semester course for learning how to integrate technology into their content areas. During the course of the Fall 2005 semester, my first semester as Assistant Professor, the students were introduced to MOODLE. I used the MOODLE software, hosted on a server on Hawaii, to manage the class and provide a small modicum of interaction. The MOODLE of choice for the Spring 2006 semester was hosted in Nebraska, I think.

Creating 2 new classes for the first time, called ‘new preps’ and moving 7,000 miles, required me to wear several different hats, besides just teacher and course administrator. So, I didn’t introduce the students to very many new options for viewing and assessing new technology tools.

However, during the Spring 2006 semester, both my secondary elementary and TESOL students were introduced to several technology tools to use and to review and assess for education purposes within their content areas. In addition to giving my .02 cents worth, I will also give my students’ assssments and feedback about the technology tools that they used for class assignments and those they viewed for possible adoption for themselves.

This BLOG will serve to communicate my ideas and those of my students about easily accessible tools, and especially those that are FREE or of low cost to educators.

5 comments:

Wesley Fryer said...

Welcome to the edublogosophere, Jacqui! I hope all is well for you in Guam! I have subscribed to your blog and will look forward to future posts! :-)

mnrivera said...

Jacqui,

I'm happy that we have you on board. You have made a big difference on educational technology at UOG. It's wonderful knowing that there's another professor out there who shares the same ed-tech enthusiasm that I do. I'm sure that we'll continue to engage in various meaningful ed-tech projects together. Take care and keep up the great work! :)

Anonymous said...

Blogger/ website blog/weblog (5 out of 5)
The blog spot or weblog is an effective way of sharing with students’ and teachers’ useful and interesting educational information. The weblog can be used for educational or personal purposes. The weblog can be an innovative way to advertise your business/sales online which is similar to eBay. A weblog could be a personal website similar to My Space or People From Guam (PFG).

Anonymous said...

I think learning about the different technology tool is very useful because it allows us to create and integrate technology into our lesson.

Anonymous said...

Ryan Palugod

I think making web blogs is an excellent way of sharing ideas and also fine tune some work through comments from peers.
It is place to publish news and also seek advise. Not only does it integrate education and technology, the teacher can be updated with the students' work and also used as a record of a studet's progress. One more thing, web blogs are fun!